urad dal – 1 cup
curry leaves finely chopped
Ginger – 1 tspn finely chopped
Red chillies – 2
Onion – 1 finely chopped (optional)
Asafoedita- a pinch
Rice flour – 2 tblspn
Pepper corns – 1 tspn
Cocunut grated – 1 tblspn(optional)
salt as required
oil for deep frying
1. Wash Urad dal and soak them in enough water for about one to two hours.Avoid over soaking then vadas will absorb more oil.
2. After two hours drain the water and grind them to a fluffy paste.,Add red chillies along to the batter and grind it. Adjust water to make thick smooth batter. Three to four tblspn of water will be enough.
3. Pour the batter to the mixing bowl and beat for a minute . This will help air to incorporate into the batter to make soft and fluffy vada.
4. Meanwhile heat the pan with enough oil for deep frying.
5. Now add onion,asafoetida, curry leaves, salt,pepper corns,ginger,rice flour and mix it.
6. Wet your hands with water and take small sized dough and make a round. And slightly adjust the sides, make a hole in the centre and drop them into the oil.
7. Allow it to fry until both the sides turns crispy and golden in colour. Drain it from oil and serve hot with chutney.